Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Thursday, March 5, 2009
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Friday, February 20, 2009
Words by Jon Lawrence
Photography by Nick Ghobashi & Shaun Gregoire
(portrait photo: Justin Damer)
• So what tiny shit hole part of Virginia are you currently living in?
• How old are you / How is high school treating you in '09?
I’m 19. High school is lame and overrated.
• What’s a typical day in the life for Justin Damer?
Weekdays I wake up at 6am... shower and go to school. I get home at 11am or 1 pm depending if it’s an A day or B day. Then shred Van Dyck Skatepark in Fairfax. Weekends I get up around 8am... shower, grab a bite to eat and then go to Van Dyck Skatepark to warm up and meet up with Allen. We head downtown and meet up with whoever is trying to shred. We usually skate until its dark and then eat Chipotle and discuss what to skate. Then we go light up some spots and shred until whenever.
• On a scale from LRG to Krew, how tight were the pants you use to wear? How tight are they now?
They were painted on before, haha. I wear slim straight leg pants now.
• So the word is you're filming for a part in Allen Danze's next video... How is that going and how is filming with Allen?
The filming is going well. I try to get as many tricks as I can at every spot so then I have choices for what I want to use. Filming with Allen is fun. He knows almost every spot and is still finding/suggesting new ones. Look for a promo sometime in the near future.
Don't worry, you'll never be able to get yours this high. Frontside flip. Photo: Ghobashi
• What is a typical winter for the Northern VA/ DC area and how is skating for you then?
COLD!!! Skating is always fun, but in the cold... it sucks. I try to make the best of it.
• So you've recently gotten hooked up with a bunch of companies. How did all of that come about?
Well I got hooked up with Descarte Skateboards through Keir Johnson. His buddy Matt Pugh, who is the TM for Descarte, asked him for someone from the east coast and Keir told him about me. Thanks Keir. I got hooked up with Converse through Greg Grammen, the owner of Elite Boardshop. He was out at ASR and was talking to the Converse dudes and I get a text saying send me a link to your tape…so I sent it and it all worked out. Thanks to Chase Whitaker and everyone at Converse for hooking it up.
• Top 3 Pulaski tricks done?
- Kickflip into the street on Penn Ave - Bobby Worrest
- Smith up little white wall - Zach Lyons
- Kickflip fs 50-50 going mach-10 - Manny Law
• What's a good 'Wreck Crew' moment that you'll always cherish?
Nick Duclos locking his keys in his car at court house, then someone took an antenna off another car and broke in Nick’s car. Funny thing is, it took them almost an hour to break in his car.
Feeble up, then back over. Original photo: Gregoire
• Any final thanks?
Thanks to Greg, Jay, Eliot, Craig, Nick and everyone else at Elite/Palace 5ive, Chase at Converse, Matt and Brandon at Descarte, Mom/Dad for all the skate stuff and rides in the past, David for free haircuts, Keir Johnson, Allen Danze, Charlie Church, Nick Ghobashi, Jimmy Pelletier, Brad Rosado, Jon Lawrence and everyone who I've skated with and everyone who I forgot.
Justin Damer's part from 'Still Fakin''