Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Matt Reamer Interview.



Words by Jon Lawrence
Photos by Corey Henderson & Nick Ghobashi

Besides Tommy passing away, what was the idea behind calling the video Tomboman?

Before we (Gilbert, Bradshaw, and I) knew Tommy we thought his name was Tom Boman, because his screen name and forum name was “tomboman4life”. Gilbert and I would always refer to him as “Tomboman” until he told us otherwise haha.

How long did you film for the video?

We started filming right after The Main Course came out, but really had no idea we were filming for a video until the summer of 08. We were just busy filming sponsor tapes and such for Bradshaw, Travis, and Josh. Adam just kind of fell in the mix somewhere during filming, but had knee problems all throughout. Jacob started filming in the summer, even though I had never really filmed with him, but he called one day and I said what the hell!? He got a trick and I really wanted him to have a part in the video. Gilbert is just a filming machine and did most of his whole part for fun. And Alex... well he was basically asleep for more than half the time we were filming haha.


Bradshaw starts his part off with a banger. Lipslide across the gap. Photo: Henderson

What do you think is the biggest difference in Tyler and Alex's skating?

Tyler’s skating in my opinion is not portrayed too well through the parts he produces. His parts normally are just him jumping down shit and a bunch of single tricks with very few lines or ledge tricks, but in reality he has so much flow when he skates and kills everything you put in front of him. Alex on the other hand KILLS transition. I would rather watch him skate tranny more than anyone in the video. He has such style and finesse which is added to everything. That’s why I think they fit so good together... one is goofy, one is regular, and 2 complete different skin tones, haha, perfect!

Who from the video is the biggest slacker when it comes to filming? Who gets the most footage?

Biggest slacker would for sure go to Alex. Dude sleeps so goddamn much. You could wake him up in the morning and he will 'get up', when really he has fallen back asleep and everyone is ready to go. On the other side of the spectrum would be Gilbert. He is one dude who is always down to film and skate most every spot we go to, and he is the only person that I don’t nag to film. Usually I am nagging everyone and pestering them to do something, but when Gilbert is on the session... he’s already got shit planned out and comes to ME and tells me to get the camera out, it’s fucking sick.


'The new kid' keeps up with the big guys. Frontside bluntslide. Photo: Henderson


Did everyone or anyone get to choose their own song?

Yeah everyone gave me ideas for their songs and I choose from them. I would edit to them and see which fits more appropriately. I picked the intro, credits, all the bonus, and Travis’s song though.

Give me your top 3 best Tommy moments that you will always remember.

1) Tommy, Travis, and I were playing Golden Eye for N64 in his basement butt ass naked, while Alex was fully clothed watching us from behind the couch. Tommy was trying to sneak up on me to initiate the kill, when he popped out of the air duct and with assult rifle in hand screams, “FRAIRASHOCKA MOTHER FUCKERS” and boom I kill the fuck out of him and we laughed so hard we couldn’t breath.
2) I was at work one Friday night when I get a call from him like an hour before I was suppose to be getting off, telling me to come to this party and drink with him. When I got off I went over there to meet up with him and he started feeding me shot after shot... in preparation to get me to throw up. About an hour and 20 shots later I looked back to see him banging on the bathroom door screaming, “Let me in! Let me in! Let me in!” I don’t think they were trying to let him in so he finally got the door open a bit, just a fraction of an inch... and started throwing up all in the bathroom through that crack. Did I mention while he was throwing up through a miniature crack in the door he was only wearing boxers and yellow rubber gloves that ladies use to clean dishes?
3) Smashing pumpkins against mail boxes going 30 miles an hour in a car and watching the mail boxes explode. That’s all I have to say about that one.


The 'ghost of Swyers' grinds over Reamer on a stormy evening. Photo: Ghobashi

In the intro it looks like a couple of people really get fucked up. What was the final outcome for each person's shitty situation?

Todd broke his foot, had to get stitches to the dome piece, and out of skating for about 3 months. Trent got a concussion and just a really fucking gnarly headache. I had to take him to MCV after.
Swyers only hurt a big toe on one of his feet. I’m pretty sure that’s all that happened, lucky bastard. He was super psyched afterwards.

Jacob is the "new kid" compared to these older dudes who have been around for a while, whether it's in videos or having a reputation of some sort. Not many people had really heard his name before this. How do you feel his part came out? Do you think he kept up with everyone else?

Jacob is very interesting person; cool as shit, and really down to Earth. His skating is unique and really fun to watch. His part was one of my favorite’s hands down and one of my favorite people to film. He's always thinking outside of the box and yeah for sure he holds his own in the Richmond skate scene. 72 ;)


Josh Swyers manages to land on the bank in such a tight squeeze. Frontside 180. Photo: Henderson

Any future videos in the works, or projects to be taking up your time?

DREAM TEAM SUPREME!!! Vol. 2 “Aint Nuttin Ta Prove” – Summer 09’, Dominion 8 – Fall 09’, “Another Reamer Video” – Early 10’

Any final thanks?

Family, Jon Lawrence, all the homies in the video, everyone that supported the cause and purchased the video, anyone who didn’t support the cause but still wanted to see it and watched it on “youtube”, Glory Days, Vx1000’s, Qudoba for helping me through my days at school with a real yummy burrito, Will Rosenstock, Chris Yeatts, DREAM TEAM DUBZZZZZ, all the little kids at the Roc in the legion of doom, and anyone else I missed.

And you are NOT thanking...?

Cold Weather... you’re a bitch, I cannot wait to bitch smack you out and have Spring bounce back in. ;) good bye people, sorry I suck.


Everyone gathers in amazement to witness 'The Flying Ty'. Photo: Ghobashi

No comments: